More recipes to come
This is so easy to make, but then again being from South Africa we had our easy way of making them.
You need some un-sliced bread or breadrolls.
You would need some curry or stew.
If it is bread you use, cut it in half and take some of the inside out, fill it with the curry or stew and enjoy.
If you use breadrolls got the tops off, dig out some bread and stuff with curry and enjoy.
This is a supper dish for children, but getting your child to help you make it and serve mom or dad the dish for lunch is great.
Set sail m’hearties to this edible island.
4 medium baking potatoes
425g (14oz) minced beef
1 small onion, finely chopped
75g (3oz) sweetcorn
4 sticks celery with leafy top
How do I make a Treasure island?
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. Prick the baking potatoes all over with a fork and cook in the oven for approximately 1 hour or until soft.
2. Take 25g of butter in a saucepan add the onions, brown the onions then add the mince beef. Cook until done. In a separate saucepan warm the sweetcorn.
3. When potatoes are ready, slice the top of the potato lenghtways until it opens like a book. Take care, as it is very hot.
4. Scoop out the potato, mash it in the bowl with the remainder of the butter, then put to one side.
5. Fill the potato shell with the mince. Pile up the potatp on a plate and plant the celery to resemble a palm tree.
6. Place the potato on the mash an fill to overflowing with sweetcorn.
7. Make gravy and pour around the base of the ‘island’
Mince beef can be replaced with soya or veggies for non meat eaters
LUNCHBOX WRAP for 1
2 soft Cheese triangles
1 tomato flat bread
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1 red pepper, deseeded, cut into thin strips
1/4 small piece cucumber, cut into thin strips
salt and freshly ground black pepper
How do I do that?
1. Spread the cheese triangles over the tomato flatbread and sprinkle the grated carrot over it.
2. Cut the flatbread in half and arrange the strips of red pepper and cucumber over both halves of the bread. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Roll each half up to enclose the filling and wrap in a piece of cling film to hold it together and keep it moist before packing into lunchbox.
Serve or pack in lunchbox with an apple or banana and 4 gingerbread cookies.
Tomato flatbread, can be replaced with wheat-free tortillas or pitta bread or normal tortillas or corn tortillas.
A tip: My son was 1 year old and younger when I got him to help me work with food.
He was 3 and he could do the wrap on his own with all ingredients chopped for him. At age 5 he was chopping it and making it for friends.
Now he adds all things spicy to it.
I don’t make any, why should you. I don’t need to loose weight, I don’t need to go to the gym, my husband is an ex-military fitness instructor.
I have my goals for this year in my personal life and my professional one.
For Rica’s sweet tooth we would like our second premises and we would like to re-educate traffic victims, that they can have a new direction.
To continue to help flood victims in Mexico.
To continue to help feeding under nourished children in Mexico and worldwide.
Please help us reach our goals.
We are starting with two new pages. Healthy eating for Children and healthy eating in general. I will post a link to my husband’s fitness page.
The recipes for the children can be done by kids themselves.
My recipes will cover Vegan, gluten-free, wheat-free, diary-free and regular. All my recipes is diabetic friendly.
I need to state I don’t use preservatives, or additives or artificial colorants or artificial sugar. I don’t eat chemicals so I don’t sell food with chemicals in it.