Baked Banana Bread Donuts with Browned Butter Glaze
Recipe type: Breakfast
- ½ C butter
- ½ C applesauce
- 3/4 C sugar
- 2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites
- 2⅔ C flour
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (about ½ a lemon)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 4 overripe bananas- add one at a time
- Browned Butter Glaze:
- ¼ C butter, browned on stove
- 2 C powdered sugar
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- 2-3 Tbsp lowfat milk
- Blend for 2 minutes on high to mix well, batter will appear glossy.
- Place half the batter into a gallon ziplock baggie, snip the end off, fill donut pan ⅔ the way full or pour into lined muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 degrees.
- Donuts 7-9 minutes, muffins 18-20 minutes.
- Donuts are done when spring back with a light touch and lightly browned.
- Muffins are done when an inserted toothpick removes clean.
- Cool in pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then turn out on rack to finish cooling.
- In a small sauce pan on melt butter over medium high heat, watch carefully when it reaches a medium brown color and nutty aroma remove from heat.
- Whisk in 1 C powdered sugar at a time, adding 1 Tbsp milk as it thickens; adjust milk as necessary so it’s thick enough to stay on top of donuts.
- Add vanilla, whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle hot over the tops of donuts or muffins.
- Will set as cools so work quickly.
- Cool and Enjoy!