- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional melted butter, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water with 1 teaspoon sugar. Add the milk, butter, eggs, salt, 3 cups flour and remaining sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half; shape each portion into 12 balls. Place rolls in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans; cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Lightly brush with melted butter if desired. Place pans on wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.