- 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large egg
- In a large bowl, mix 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water, honey and 4 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add egg; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 24 balls. Place in a greased 13×9-in. baking pan. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over rolls. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.