Discover a new flavour to add to your finger food repertoire with these quick and easy stuffed mushroom snacks.
6 large flat mushrooms
100 g baby spinach leaves; shredded
37 ml (2½ tbsp.) olive oil
50 g rindless streaky bacon; chopped
1 small onion; finely chopped
1 egg yolk; beaten
30 ml (2 tbsp.) breadcrumbs
2 ml (½ tsp) origanum; preferably fresh
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
75 g feta cheese; crumbled
1. Preheat the oven grill.
2. Wipe the mushrooms and remove the stalks.
3. Finely chop the stalks.
4. Blanch the spinach for 1–2 mins in boiling water. Immediately immerse in cold water and drain well.
5. Heat 15 ml (1 tbsp.) of the olive oil and fry the bacon and onion until browned.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped mushroom stalks, spinach, egg yolk, breadcrumbs and oreganum.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Brush the mushrooms with the rest of the olive oil and spoon the mixture onto them.
9. Crumble the feta cheese over the mushrooms and grill for 3–5 mins or until golden brown.