- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, melted, cooled
- 2/3 cup finely chopped nuts
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash of salt
- 2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, melted, cooled
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 _ Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 8- or 9-inch square pan. In large bowl, measure all Cake ingredients. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
2 _ Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
3 _ Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat cream cheese, 1 tablespoon milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and dash of salt; add 2 oz chocolate. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until frosting is smooth and spreadable. If necessary, stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.
4 _ Once cake is completely cool, frost and serve