- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small skillet, combine oats, sugar and cinnamon; cook and stir over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until oats are toasted. Remove from heat.
- For bread, in a large bowl, beat pumpkin, eggs, oil, water, sugar, honey and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Fold in walnuts.
- Transfer to two greased 9×5-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle tops with oat mixture.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).