- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whiskey or apple juice
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Meanwhile, place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-18 minutes or until tender. Drain well; return to pot. Mash potatoes until smooth (you should have 2 cups).
- Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 15-20 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder until blended. Beat in eggs, sweet potatoes and extracts until smooth. Stir in whiskey.
- Add filling to crust. Bake on a middle oven rack 40-45 minutes or until center is set. Cool on a wire rack; serve or refrigerate within 2 hours. Yield: 8 servings.