Chocolate Sponge Roll
130g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
70ml warm vegetable oil (microwave for 15-25 seconds)
4 tbsp Nestle Baking Cocoa
2 tbsp milk
1/2 cup thickened cream
4 tsp caster sugar
350g of canned pitted cherries
How to Make
To make the chocolate sponge roll
1) Preheat oven to 220°C. Line baking paper on a greased 30cm x 30cm x 2cm baking pan.
2) Sift together the cake flour and baking powder, then set aside.
3) Combine vegetable oil, cocoa powder and milk in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
4) Whisk the eggs with sugar until batter is smooth and creamy. Stir in the flour mixture and combine well.
5) Fold one third of the batter from (4) into the combined chocolate mixture from (3) and mix well using a spatula until incorporated.
6) Pour the combined chocolate mixture back into the remaining 2/3 egg mixture, and gently fold until incorporated.
7) Spoon batter in the lined baking tray and level it.
8) Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
9) Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to let cake cool.
10) I prefer to peel off the baking paper right away, but you may opt to do so after it has cooled down.
Whilst the cake is baking in the oven, prepare the filling:
1) Chill mixer and mixing bowl in the fridge for 15 minutes – this can be done during preparation, prior to baking
2) Beat whipping cream with caster sugar with the chilled electric mixer and bowl until smooth and creamy.
To ensemble the Swiss roll:
1) After cooling the cake, use a clean tea towel to pre-roll the cake whilst it is still warm,and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. The pre-roll method helps stretch the cake and then can be easily rolled in a round shape. Not to worry, the surface of the cake won’t stick onto the tea towel.
2) Turn the surface of cake onto a large paper and spread filling onto cake.
3) Next, scatter pitted cherries evenly and roll the cake.
4) Cut edges to complete. For best results, keep roll in fridge before serving.