A beautiful, rich chocolate fruit cake recipe that is sure to please the Christmas crowds
700g jar pitted morello cherries
375g pkt dried mixed fruit
½ cup (100g) dried figs, chopped finely
1 cup (250mL) marsala
175g butter, softened
1¼ cups (275g) brown sugar
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
1¼ cups (185g) plain flour
½ cup (75g) self raising flour
2/3 cup (80g) almond meal
2 tbsp Dutch Processed Cocoa
2 tsp mixed spice
400gPremium Dark Chocolate, broken into pieces
1 cup (250mL) cream
How to Make
1. Drain cherries, reserving ¼ cup (60mL) of syrup. Combine cherries with dried mixed fruit, dried figs, ¾ cup (190mL) of the marsala and the reserved syrup in a large bowl. Cover; stand overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 150?C/130?C fan forced. Grease and line a deep 22cm round cake pan with three layers of non-stick baking paper, extending paper 5cm above top edge.
3. Beat butter, sugar and rind in a small bowl with an electric mixer until combined; beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix butter mixture into the fruit mixture; stir in flours, almond meal, Dutch Processed Cocoa, Premium Dark Chocolate and mixed spice.
4. Spread mixture into prepared pan; bake for about 3 hours or until cake is cooked when tested (if it is getting too dark on top, cover loosely with foil for the last 30 minutes). Brush hot cake with the remaining marsala; cover with foil, cool in pan overnight.
5. To make Chocolate Ganache: combine Premium Dark Chocolate and cream in a small microwave safe bowl; microwave uncovered on MEDIUM (50%) for 1 minute; stir. Repeat process in 30 second intervals until melted. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for about 20-30 minutes or until spreadable. Spread top and sides of cake with Chocolate Ganache.